“Being the soothsayer of the tribe is a dirty job, but someone has to do it.”
– Anthon St. Maarten
Predicting Love Your own Way: If waiting patiently for omens or doing rituals isn’t your cup of tea and you can’t find a handy soothsayer in your area, try divining the present and future yourself. For every passively observed sign, portent, and a bit of folk wisdom, there is at least one active divination method available. Now you just have to choose what you’d like to try.
Dreaming of Love and Romance
Some might say that Dreams are not exactly an “active” divination method. Nonetheless, you can take specific actions that direct your dreams toward similarly specific topics, in this case, love. Some may meditate before going to sleep guiding their thoughts to a specific question. Others hang dream catchers over the bed. And we’re just getting started.
You can make a dream pillow for yourself. Fill it with rose, mint, lemon verbena and mugwort. Or make tea from these herbs (1/2 teaspoon of each dried herb to a cup of water). Drink the tea before bed.
To determine the state of your love life, put a personal journal, a key, a ring, a flower, a piece of willow, a piece of bread, and cards under your pillow. Whichever item you dream of indicates an answer:
- The Book: Represents a forthcoming marriage.
- The Key: An opportunity to meet someone special.
- The Flower: Blossoming relationship.
- The Willow: A need for flexibility.
- The Bread: A secure relationship.
- The Cards: A risky relationship.
Some say timing matters in dreaming true. On St. Thomas’ eve have an onion with your tea (eww). On St. Agnes’ Day, eat a salted egg. These two dates and edibles increase your chances of incubating an insightful or prophetic dream (or minimally indigestion).
On New Year’s Eve put an ivy leaf under your pillow, on New Year’s Day, vervain and yarrow. On St. Agnes’ Eve or Valentine’s Day put two bay leaves sprinkled with rose water under your pillow. These actions evoke prophetic dreams.
You might also invoke the Moon’s aid by looking over your right shoulder. Say “New Moon, tell me please, who my love is fated to be.” Go to bed without speaking another word and dreams of the future will come to you. Or you can wait for the first new moon of a New Year and repeat the following incantation three times while looking at the moon, “New Moon, let me see, who my love shall finally be.” You will have prophetic dreams that night.
While not every dream will contain symbolic content about your love life, if this subject lies heavy on your mind, the chance of insights appearing in a dream increase. Ancient and modern dream keys contain literally hundreds of images and interpretations specific to love in all its forms. Some examples follow here. As you read them, please bear in mind that dream interpretation is an imperfect art. You are unique, and what your dreams mean to you is specific to you. Use this list to spur more personalized insights.
And remember to write your dreams in a notebook or record them on tape so you can reflect upon them later.
Dream Interpretations on Love
- Acorn (shaking from a tree): A successful relationship.
- Air (cold): A similarly cold domestic relationship.
- Angels: A disturbing influence in a relationship or a scandal in love.
- Aroma (sweet): A pleasant surprise in a relationship.
- Ax: A worthy, but not wealthy lover.
- Bird (caged): A wealthy marriage.
- Butterfly: A forthcoming happy union.
- Cabbage: An unfaithful companion.
- Caterpillar: A hypocritical companion causing a loss in love.
- Champion: A developing warm friendship.
- Clothing (black): A disagreement or quarrel.
- Clothing (blue): A supportive and loyal friend.
- Cucumber: A pleasant change in a relationship.
- Dentist: A reason to doubt a companion’s sincerity.
- Dishes (stacked): A successful marriage.
- Fish: A good-looking, sexually delightful lover.
- Flute (playing): A lover with charm and charisma.
- Ivy (clinging): A happy rendezvous.
- Knot (tied) A nagging lover or friend.
- Nuts (gathering): A favor from a lover.
- Ocean (calm): A charming companion to spend time with.
- Quicksand A deception or dangerous liaison.
- Spider Web A secure relationship and good home.
- Thorns A dissatisfaction with a relationship or barriers to be overcome.
- Violets A meeting with a potential long term mate.
- Windows (closed): A friend or lover who deserts you.
- Wolf: A betrayal.
- Zoo: A love affair that has varied luck.
This is a very abbreviated list of potential love portents in your dreams. Visit our sister site BuildingBeautifulSouls.com if you’d like an in-depth look at Dream Interpretation.
Pyromancy Divination for Love
“Before you leave, the fortune teller reminds you that the future is never set in stone.”
– Erin Morgenstern
Fire symbolizes love and passion. Consequently, the ancient art of pyromancy is a good vehicle for love divination. Begin with a fire made from either cedar, juniper, or sandalwood chips. When you ignite the fire, watch to see what happens. The behavior of the flames indicates your answer to your question as follows:
- Blue Flames: A relationship that undergoes spiritual or emotional storms.
- Bright Flames: A relationship filled with healthy passion.
- Burning with Two Points: A balanced relationship in which both parties are independent.
- Burning with Three Points: A relationship vexed by a rival or through external interests, or one that requires the help of friends to get started.
- Catching Fire After a Delay: A relationship that requires some nurturing and diligence to be successful.
- Clear, Even flames: A pure, even-tempered relationship.
- Heart-Shaped Flame: A relationship filled with mutual love.
- Not Catching Fire: A lack of interest or passion.
- One-Sided Fire: A relationship that is imbalanced.
- Pale Flames: A relationship that may prove unhealthy.
- Ring-Shaped Fire: A relationship that leads to marriage.
- Rising Up, then Fading Quickly: A relationship that begins with intense passion but burns itself out.
- Slow-Burning: A relationship where taking your time results in long-term devotion.
- Smoke without any Fire: A relationship filled with illusions, falsehood, and insecurity.
- Smoldering with lots of Smoke: A relationship in which one partner puts on facades, causing strife.
- Sparks: A relationship with all the right kindling, but which may undergo some problems from hot tempers.
- Spitting or Roaring: A relationship filled with arguments as well as fiery passion.
If you don’t have the suggested woods available, toss an herb, flower, or some incense on the fire instead. Choose the plant or incense according to your question and observe likewise.
As the wood burns down, observe the smoke’s movements. They too have messages:
- Hovers around the flame-an ominous sign indicating a possessive lover or mate
- Rises Straight Up: A good sign telling you to move ahead with confidence; knowing that the divine sees your needs.
- Rises to the Right: A sign that love’s path should be smooth.
- Rises to the Left: A warning to proceed with caution, or stop and wait for better timing.
- Rises, then Divides: A good start, but watch the road- it could be bumpy.
Love Divination and Moon Lore
“The moon is a loyal companion. It never leaves. It’s always there, watching, steadfast, knowing us in our light and dark moments, changing forever just as we do. Every day it’s a different version of itself. Sometimes weak and wan, sometimes strong and full of light. The moon understands what it means to be human. Uncertain. Alone. Cratered by imperfections.”
― Tahereh Mafi
The moon is used in all types of magic. The waxing moon represents growth, the full moon fulfillment, fertility and maturity, and the waning moon closure. Esoteric traditions link the moon with the feminine intuitive instinct. This, combined with the romantic associations of moonlight, makes the moon the perfect agent for spells and predictions about love.
For example, planning a first date under a waxing to full moon gives the relationship a better chance of being happy than one begun under a waning moon. According to ancient traditions, crescent moons increase personal beauty and endow the person with enough energy to maintain a healthy relationship. The full moon of May improves the fertility of a relationship and empowers relationship spells. The June full energizes any type of relationship magic. Finally the full Hunter’s Moon of October aids in the search for a life mate.
You can combine these lunar events with oracular efforts for the greatest effect. For example, to know when you will meet someone special, or get married, hold a silk square over a body of water with the full moon of October behind you. The number of reflections seen through the scarf indicates the number of months you must wait. This is a type of scrying, from an old English tradition.
When you do meet a potential mate, pay attention to the moon sign at that moment. It will predict the course of that relationship, and the most positive actions you can take with that person. This particular form of sign and omen interpretation is a part of Astrology that can also be utilized effectively in timing love spells and any divinatory efforts:
- Moon in Aries: Take a chance! An Aries moon enhances spells that help you make a choice. You can divine the answers to questions that will influence your decision.
- Moon in Taurus: Be cautious. This is a bad time for drastic changes. A Taurus moon enhances spells that deepen devotion. Divine the answers to questions that focus on a relationship’s emotional, monetary, or spiritual security.
- Moon in Gemini: Accentuate playfulness and communication. A Gemini moon enhances spells to rein in a fickle lover. Divine the answers to questions that focus on a mate’s fidelity and trustworthiness.
- Moon in Cancer: Keep emotions in balance. A Cancer moon enhances spells to increase understanding. Divine the answers to questions where you need improved insight and perspective.
- Moon in Leo: Socialize and make a good impression. A propitious time for a relationship to start. A Leo moon enhances spells designed for glamoury. Divine the answers to questions that determine if a certain person is interested or elsewhere committed.
- Moon in Virgo: Make an intellectual connection. A Virgo moon enhances spells designed to encourage a healthy relationship. Divine the answers to questions about when and where a good relationship will begin, or if a present relationship will improve.
- Moon in Libra: Emphasize friendship and mutual creative interests. A Libra moon enhances spells designed to improve personal charm. Divine the answers to questions of friendship.
- Moon in Scorpio: Focus on family, but avoid arguments. A Scorpio moon enhances spells designed to augment sensitivity between people. Divine the answers to questions about the home, domesticity, or matters of communication.
- Moon in Sagittarius: Be honest and thoughtful; break out of outmoded routines. A Sagittarius moon enhances spells designed for the adventurous spirit. Divine the answers to questions in which you need to hear the whole truth.
- Moon in Capricorn: Be practical and tenacious. A Capricorn moon enhances spells designed to increase self-discipline. Divine the answers to questions focused on obstacles that impede a relationship.
- Moon in Aquarius: Socialize and listen to new ideas. An Aquarius moon enhances spells designed to smooth love’s pathway. Divine the answers to questions that provide wisdom and guidance on the next steps to take.
- Moon in Pisces: Seek advice and trust your instincts. A Pisces moon enhances spells designed to cultivate spiritual love. Divine the answers to questions that will improve your decision-making before you consider a leap of faith.
Visit our sister site BuildingBeautifulSouls.com if you’d like to learn more about the meaning and symbolism of Zodiac Signs.
Adapted from a “Little Book of Love Magic,” by Patricia Telesco. All rights reserved.