What's new
Wise Witches and Witchcraft
Join our tribe today and walk
the mystical path with fellow souls

What do you feel drew you to Paganism originally? How have your feelings re Paganism changed over the years?

StephenPugh

The Cauldron Moderator
Myself, my first, real, introduction to Paganism and Witchcraft came from what i look back at as an amusing tale..
One day, my first wife decided to come out and tell me that she was a Witch. I had been brought up by a devout Grandmother, in the Roman Catholic faith, so, as may be expected, I reacted much like you'd expect someone raised like that to react.. I was half way out of the door to fetch a Priest when she stopped me, asking simply that I read and learn a bit about it before I went all Inquisition on her ass.
This, somewhat reluctantly, I did.
Boy was I in for a surprise.
No Devil.. No High Priest having it off with the coven members...
So much for Dennis Wheatley I thought lol.
It turned out that all the things I had ALWAYS felt about the World and Life gelled quite nicely with the pagan concepts..
So her Altar and so on came out of hiding and I too became, in my heart and mind, Pagan.
Not then, still, realizing I had Always been Pagan in my heart.
I then found myself scouring the net and found a website, Wiccaworld Social Network which I enjoyed immensely and was very active in.
Shortly after joining and making a nuisance of myself I was asked to become an Admin for the site, which I accepted.
I made good, life-long friends, some I consider family and we worked hard to keep the site going after the owner left to pursue other options, even after the domain name suddenly was lost..the owner had only opted for a two year lease..
When that was eventually retired I created the Facebook group "the Cauldron".
Since then i have attended many gatherings and celebrations, made even more lifelong friends and gained more Family, as close as blood even if not actually blood.
I have learned that diversity is a beautiful thing, something to be embraced and valued.
I have learned that there is no Hell and that I, alone, am responsible for my actions and equally as responsible for the consequences of such.
I have learned that there is an inherent beauty to the human condition that Indoctrination stifles.
I have learned to love who I am, and to not judge myself by foreign religious "laws" but by the feelings in my own heart and mind.
I have, in essence, learned what it is to be really free.

Malcolm

For me it was My sister going to my grandmothers house a mile or so, in the next village. I was a nosey kid and had to know what she was up too.
one day she started to show me how to read the cards, she was using playing cards for this, she was 15 at the time and very rock and roll. I picked up on it and asked if I could come with her next time, so I did. My grandmother was into everything, an amazing lady, and a member of a group over here in England called the new forest witches, along with some famous ones, from other groups and also a few not so famous ones that turned out to have been made famous since that time. So, I knew I had a good teacher. The Tarot was what I was first introduced too, I loved it, it became my daily thing to do. I learned so much from her, and she told me of the many groups she had been in, and invited to, she told me stories that most people don't think are true, but I know them to be true, not because she told me, but because she showed me. By the time I was 14, my grandad started to tell me of his ways of doing things, he was what is called a wise man in the local area. Some of the things that I saw him do would seem insane to some, unless you saw him do them and knew why he did them. He showed me how to douse for water, then gas, water pipes, electric cables and even people. He was the first to explain about the ownership of magic, when a vow was involved, and about singing spells or as the Welsh druids call them Bardic spells. After that boy was I hooked.

Malcolm

I liked what you said about Dennis Wheatley, but he did publish a book all about his research, it makes for some very interesting reading. Especially when you find out where some of it came from and who he had to talk to to find out what he did.

StephenPugh

The Cauldron Moderator
I liked what you said about Dennis Wheatley, but he did publish a book all about his research, it makes for some very interesting reading. Especially when you find out where some of it came from and who he had to talk to to find out what he did.
It was more "The devil rides out" that I had experience of, that and all the guff one hears about "satanists" (meaning misguided Christians more than LaVeyan etc)

AmethystSue

I knew things instinctively as a child, and my mum told me my grandfather her father was a strong clairvoyant, she had some ability herself, luckily I was never shut down like some children are or made to feel weird so I never lost my clair ability just paused it because I didn't know my path, after moving here to east Sussex there was a great little shop now sadly gone that I often went to, my mum bought my first tarot deck there and encouraged me to buy books and try to find my path. It was only after I joined Facebook and joined groups that I started to find my way, because of my chronic health problems I felt I couldn't do spells or rituals by rote as a lot of books say, till I learned via these groups that I could as I could find a way that worked for me, I have cast successfully and have my own way to honour my path.
And yes lurking in the Cauldron groups has helped me immensely.

Last edited:

StephenPugh

The Cauldron Moderator
I knew things instinctively as a child, and my mum told me my grandfather her father was a strong clairvoyant, she had some ability herself, luckily I was never shut down like some children are or made to feel weird so I never lost my clair ability just paused it because I didn't know my path, after moving here to east Sussex there was a great little shop now sadly gone that I often went to, my mum bought my first tarot deck there and encouraged me to but books and try to find my path. It was only after I joined Facebook and joined groups that I started to find my way, because of my chronic health problems I felt I couldn't do spells or rituals by rote as a lot of books say, till I learned via these groups that I could as I could find a way that worked for me, I have cast successfully and have my own way to honour my path.
And yes lurking in the Cauldron groups has helped me immensely.
Very happy to hear it :)

Tesha

I came upon the path in 1995 while walking through the library and haven't looked back since. I've grown a lot in my path I believe and find it helpful lurking in the family if Cauldron groups and talking with like-minded people. As for my path not sure what you would call me Eclectic would be my best guess. I don't think my feelings for the path have changed at all, just happy to be able to continue a d grow.

Wyckedbynature

My parents were Wiccan so I have always been on this path. I no longer consider myself Wiccan as I have adopted things from different paths that appealed to me over the years

CMH

The histories of the world and mythology at the start when I dedicated my self in 1996 to the craft and started learning from a teaching coven. I never knew my granny was already training me in old folk remedies, divinations, husbandry and more. It was just away of life that we lived and never actually thought nothing of it.

Only when I came to TC, I want to say 7 years ago or just about originally and had left for a bit before coming back. I was mainly a lurker then LOL. Only when I got into the group and actually started reading the posts and went hey that’s what I do already and was thinking wait didn’t every do this as a kid? Did I realize that my granny had been an actually folk granny.

I still love it the same as when I first started. Though I have changed my craft from my wiccan days to more rounded views. I have learned to embrace more people and come out of my anti-social shell somewhat. I still bite though. LOL😆

LiathGallese

I love hearing the stories of everyone's journeys!

I found the craft at the age of 13, when after my confirmation in the christian church of my parents, I felt that something was missing, and this was not the connection to the universal power that i needed/wanted. So...nerd girl powers activated, and I started researching (old school.... library books, reference catalogs, etc)and came upon paganism, and wicca. I checked out a book from my school library, and read every word, after returning the book, a week later I opened the locker I shared with 2 other friends, and there was the book sitting on top of my books. At the same moment I, and one of the two said.. "I thought i returned that!" To our shock, the third friend was the one who had left it there. So... we sat down together (outside school, obvs) and set a course that we would follow all our lives. We committed to a year and a day "seeking" to make sure we were on the right path, and then headed forward, and never looked back. We found others in our area, were eventually initiated, either as solitaries or in groups, and eventually I would form my own group, with one of those two "soul sisters." The group celebrated together for 10 years, and we closed that circle for good when my then husband and I divorced, because we didnt want our divorce to damage the group. I was mostly solitary for a long time, staying only with a few of my sisters of the circle, healing my wounds, and exploring other sides of my psyche, including going to AFG. 5 years ago I moved to Italy to build a new life for myself, where I could grow as I wanted, and since then I have been revisiting my pagan past, renewing old ways, and growing into new knowledge.

I have to say that for a while in those dark years, I felt myself more spiritual than magical, but that was because I was in a world where the physical space was not so healthy, and being able to sense earth energy in a place like AFG was actually physically painful, so I shielded that skill to protect myself. In fact, during those years I built a LOT of shields,, that are only just now coming back down. But during that time, my connection to spirit became stronger. Now, living by the sea, where I can have my windows open 3/4 of the year, live more organically, with more emotion, more joy, my magical side is out to play. I also joined an online temple of Italian ladies that follow the Goddess Aphrodite, to help me stay connected during covid lockdowns. In many ways, my love, my connection to the path has never changed, but I spent a lot of time exploring different aspects, sides, views. I was always learning.

I may have new growth, new leaves, but my roots are deep.... excited to see what fruit and flowers come next.

Malcolm

It was more "The devil rides out" that I had experience of, that and all the guff one hears about "satanists" (meaning misguided Christians more than LaVeyan etc)
Well, when he wrote them, witchcraft was still illegal in England. It was always going to be a little biased. They make me laugh now.

Mathariel

My parents were both pagan, dad was Wiccan to be specific. I was raised by my grandparents but they had the wherewithal to let me find my own path when it came to religion, so I was always free to do as I pleased. So I was kind of born into it. My SO isn't pagan but he respects it, so my kids will be raised much the same way I was.

WiccanPixxie

I’d been drawn to paganism and witchcraft when I was around 14, but back then I still listened to my mother (rare for a teen I know) and believed her when she waffled on about devil worshipping.
Fast forward to about 10 years ago, and I was getting more and more fed up with the hypocrisy of the church, and so I started looking elsewhere.
I still consider myself a newbie witch, and very much eclectic. I do believe that you reap what you sow, but at the same time I will use what I have to protect myself from harm from others.
I now have a stepdaughter who is showing more than a passing interest in witchcraft, and her dad is supporting her choices, so have been slowly introducing her to it (she is almost 14 so any age appropriate book recommendations would be much appreciated).

Tash

The Cauldron Moderator
I’d been drawn to paganism and witchcraft when I was around 14, but back then I still listened to my mother (rare for a teen I know) and believed her when she waffled on about devil worshipping.
Fast forward to about 10 years ago, and I was getting more and more fed up with the hypocrisy of the church, and so I started looking elsewhere.
I still consider myself a newbie witch, and very much eclectic. I do believe that you reap what you sow, but at the same time I will use what I have to protect myself from harm from others.
I now have a stepdaughter who is showing more than a passing interest in witchcraft, and her dad is supporting her choices, so have been slowly introducing her to it (she is almost 14 so any age appropriate book recommendations would be much appreciated).
Ann Moura has a good series called Green Witchcraft. It would be a great start. There are 6 total books. One is a Grimoire, one is a Tarot Book. One is called Green Magic that is a little more advanced than the beginners book. The tarot book and other 3 are called Green Witchcraft. They are great for a beginner but she does follow a more harm none path of that's an issue for you.

Also, Thank you for joining us.

WiccanPixxie

Ann Moura has a good series called Green Witchcraft. It would be a great start. There are 6 total books. One is a Grimoire, one is a Tarot Book. One is called Green Magic that is a little more advanced than the beginners book. The tarot book and other 3 are called Green Witchcraft. They are great for a beginner but she does follow a more harm none path of that's an issue for you.

Also, Thank you for joining us.
For my teenager I think I’d rather she went the harm none route for now (as I’m sure her dad would prefer that too) and she will no doubt make up her own mind as she gets older. Thank you for the recommendation 😊

CelticRose

I’m a relative newbie (6 months), I was raised in a Protestant household, but I never felt I belonged. I tried Catholicism for a while, and I felt fake. Then a couple of years ago, I lost all faith and became agnostic. It was around this I started hiking and photography. I was also writing quite a bit of poetry. It wasn’t until I had conversation with a cousin about religion (she’s pagan/Christian/witch), that the seeds were planted. I had an epiphany around new year’s and started reading up on it, and realized that this was where I belonged. My beliefs are somewhat eclectic but solidly earth and animal based.

DuoMiller

I felt different as a kid, like a lot of folks; thought I could move things with intention, hear and feel things, and of course was scared by them instead of being taught to embrace and control these gifts. Now as an adult it has been difficult to hone back in on these gifts, but I will never give up. I also feel blessed to have found my pagan-witchy path, honored. Sometimes I feel bad, or fake, about the gods/goddesses I choose to thank or to look to, but I feel drawn to many different sources (Bastet, Freyja, Hecate, Mother Nature, etc). But again, feel very blessed to have that premonition/gut instinct to be drawn to the calls. It makes my year to have this wonderful, eclectic group of witches to embrace!

moonlover

I started being Church of England. I was in the school choir that sang in church & mainly liked the harmonies in the music. I got to see how two faced some people were & felt drawn to something better. I have always used herbs to heal & lately Essential Oils. My Mum brought me up this way & I found out we had witches in the family years ago. I found a partner who is a male witch & we got Handfasted in 2014. The more I looked into Paganism, the more it fitted what I am. I dowse, use cards, do Energy Healing & love nature & use Crystals. I am so thankful to have found this group with like minded & beautiful people. Thanks for setting it up & allowing me to join.😊

Caleya

I was raised Catholic and I never liked it. What drew me to Paganism was that it belonged to me only. Nobody around me knew anything about it. It was beautiful and it was different and it was mine. I am actually a bit sad about it having become so public lately, but hey... nothing I can do about it.