What's new
Wise Witches and Witchcraft
Join our tribe today and walk
the mystical path with fellow souls

Looking for information to write a pulp

Tel

Hello.

I'm working on a brother grim style pulp. Wanting to ask some questions so I can write more accurately

Tel

well curranty I'm trying to hammer down a basic outline for a coven. my villain is the head of the coven. the protagonist is just being inducted into the coven.

I have a loose out line of 1st and 2nd degree members as well as other servants (neophytes)

I'm trying to think of what tasks and educations a neophyte would be taught. I was thinking the 1st degrees would teach them a basic field such as Reading symbols and languages of magic. Some form of physical self defense and well and social interaction

Maybe neophytes would be tasks with learning herbs. do chores. gather materials to craft and sell / barter

Glinda

your ideas are good. Although I might say that a neophyte could be shown various basics of different modalities (say making potions). When they show an aptitude for one, their main focus might be there. For example, I have no interest in "high" magic. Simple approaches work best. So I would continue to learn "low" magic like herbalism

There might be psychic tests involved to see about innate gifts (find the egg, only using closed eyes!)

symbolism is important to all aspects of magic, and there's a lot of it. You have rune forms, nature symbols, glyphs and wards....

Tel

Is the 3rd or highest rank the only one who can teach or can 2nd and 1st teach as well?

Glinda

I am a solitary so I can't really help but I suspect each tradition has their own levels and responsibilities associated with them. I would like to THINK lower level ranks could teach initiates, so everyone is involved in the wellbeing of the whole organism.

Tel

A First Degree Witch may also be learning such magics involved with Ritual. For instance, how to use the Magic Broom to cleanse an area for Ritual Circle.
how would they start training.

also what do they look for in canidates. like qualities?

I have the the Coven looks for Girls who are naturaly gifted. have a keen talent and a string will

Glinda

Training in my mind begins with discussions. Questions, answers, mindful interaction. For a coven to work well, they have to have some foundational commonalities, but enough diversity for growth.