What's new
Wise Witches and Witchcraft
Join our tribe today and walk
the mystical path with fellow souls

Herbs, herbs, herbs!

Lunarshadow

Ooh I do love me some herbs! I drink a lot of herbal teas, most have chamomile in them. I use tea tree oil for a variety of things. And peppermint, can't live without it.

Black roses

Ooh I do love me some herbs! I drink a lot of herbal teas, most have chamomile in them. I use tea tree oil for a variety of things. And peppermint, can't live without it.
Yes i love peppermint however , spearmint is my "goto" ! Infact i grow both . i love chamomile herbal tea at bedtime with one tsp. Of raw unfiltered honey in it . relaxes me like a charm .
And i like to add afew ,quiet afew drops of tea tree essential oils to my doggy shampoo . but i use other essential oils in my potpourri simmer . and ill add some dried herbs too . like rosemary .
I'm not exactly a "green witch" but i do enjoy the assortment . bb

Tina

Although I've been on the witch's path for many years, I just cant seem to remember what the different herbs are for! You'd think by now I'd have it! I know my crystals and how to meditate but ask me what oregano is good for and I'll tell you "my spaghetti sauce". I do enchant herbs as I'm cooking, though, so that's something. And I work w essential oils for medicinal uses...I just need help with the magickal ones LOL.

My comfort herb? As cliche as it is, chamomile. A cup of that at 10pm and I'm snoring soon most times.

Black roses

Although I've been on the witch's path for many years, I just cant seem to remember what the different herbs are for! You'd think by now I'd have it! I know my crystals and how to meditate but ask me what oregano is good for and I'll tell you "my spaghetti sauce". I do enchant herbs as I'm cooking, though, so that's something. And I work w essential oils for medicinal uses...I just need help with the magickal ones LOL.

My comfort herb? As cliche as it is, chamomile. A cup of that at 10pm and I'm snoring soon most times.
r.rosemary for memory , mint for digestion n relaxation , mugwort for anti-canti-cramps (pms) , pink Himalayan salt for arthritus , tea tree essential oil (bug b gone) , aloe vero for burns , cinnamon for pain relief . those are the ones i know off the top of my head . but you may want to cross-reference them . 🌿 theres millions

H LM Malone

Hi all Herb lovers! I’m super new to this (like 2 days new 🤣) and here to learn and be inspired. This might be a silly question but is there a preference between dry or fresh herbs. And can pure essential oils be replaced for a herb ok? As a newbie I’m currently using what I have on hand, which is a mixture of what fresh herb I have grown, rosemary, dried herbs from my pantry and essential oils. I understand the craft is individual to the person but want to make sure I learn the basic understanding of the different uses for these 3 things. Also with dry herbs, are the one you get in grocery shop ok, or do they have to be specifically sourced? Hope this makes sense 🤞🏻
It depends on your path and your specific workings - and also just a matter of preference / availability. I've heard some people completely dismiss dry herbs, they have to be 100% fresh or else it won't work --- but I, personally, don't believe that. I think they all work, no matter what - it is just ridiculous and impractical to expect everyone, in all different climates and growing zones to have access to FRESH whatever at any given time. No. That's just silly.
Fresh due tend to be more potent, so that is something to take into consideration - but at the same time, there are others that like a good long fermentation & aging process to make them more potent, depending on the herb, what oil makeup they have, and which part of the plant it is - aerial parts are more delicate, but roots and barks tend to get stronger when dried and ground and it becomes more concentrated. If you are going to use dried, I would just research their shelf life and potency - the more you do it, the more you'll get familiar with which are best to use fresh, or dried.
Essential oils can be tricky because of their solvents & extraction methods. And not all brands are created equal, so just be sure to do research on the company, and try to find out what base they use for their solvents if possible. Oils are also tend to be very concentrated, so they can cause skin, eye & lung irritation & can be dangerous to pets - I would not burn or diffuse them, and dilute them when appropriate. But yes, you can use them as substitutions in certain instances, and they can come in very handy with spell work. I tend to favor edible extracts vs essentials - but whatever you feel most comfortable with, so long as you know how to use them safely.
What you pick up at the grocery is just fine - just know that they have probably been processed a lot longer than you suspect, so some might be less potent than you'd want - but that can be worked around, just something to keep in mind. Perhaps cleanse & charge them before hand since they've had so much exposure and handling, and they weren't grown for that intent - but yes, you can certainly use them.

Glinda

You mentioned aging like Black Garlic. Really interesting energies. Also, sometimes we put herbs into oil or water for various functions. It doesn't dilute them IMO.

For those that grow their own herbs, sunlight, rain, soil - all factor in when you're talking about vibrational signatures (oh, yeah! harvesting time)

LiathGallese

I always recommend that folks read a lot of different books about herbalism, from various authors, though I confess S. Cunningham is still my fav because of his dedication to research methods and documentation (because I am at heart a nerd). The different parts of plants, flower, leaf, seed, fruit, root, often have different uses, and when you harvest them is often based on where the energy of the plant is at that time, and what part you will use.

For instance I just harvested my Rue seeds (I like to use them for protection charms) and I harvested them now, because the heat of my city, and where I grow my plants has moved them into the downward phase for the year, and the seed pods are just beginning to dry. If I was going to harvest the leaves (which I am careful about because they can cause skin issues) I would have done it in June, when the energy was in the leaves, giving them growth.

I often have several different jars of the same herb but different parts of it in my stores.